Monday, March 22, 2010

Back in the Hospital

Now that I am down backtracking a bit and bringing everyone up to speed, it's sad that I am now writing this blog (as with the other previous posts) in the hospital. After getting back from New York at 5pm on Sunday, March 21, my Mom was experiencing a lot of pain and a fever. My dad warned me about some of this, but after I took her temp and finding it was 101.1 degrees, I knew something needed to be done.

After speaking with the Doctor, he was concerned that it could be plyo. My mom had a stent put in just below her left kidney around March 9. The purpose of the stent was to ensure that the left ureter was open (it's not since the cancer as constricted it to such an extreme degree which is why her Kidney is still vary large).

It was determined that the stent might be the cause of the infection and she was put on IV antibiotics.

The Kidney: It's large and no one is doing anything to address it. They could do a nephroscopy which is a flexible tube that attaches the Kidney to the Bladder, thus bypassing the ureter. Even the radiation oncologist agreed the priority should be to ensure the kidney function and ureter is open. the doctor's recommendation? To have my mom live in excruciating pain until the radiation and chemo force the cervical cancer to become smaller thus removing the blockage.

Stupid huh? The kidney is not able to get rid of the fluid in it's system and this guy refuses to do anything about it. He is hoping that the radiation/chemo will do something about this issue but I'm not holding my breath. I've accepted the fact that some pain is necessary, though this much pain that is not directly related to the cancer? Something has to be done since pain is something my mom refuses to deal with. Oh yeah, hospitals to. Combine these two together and you get a terrible situation that increasing chances of depression and helplessness.

After meeting the doctor today, he seems very curt. The nurses and residents suck. Neither seem able to listen or comprehend the English language to the point that residents prescribe medication that would adversely effect her kidneys, and therefore successful chemo treatment and the nurses never seem to be able to administer pain medication earlier than 2 hours after they have been told of the presence of extreme pain.

Either way, mom is battling this like a champ. Though we expect her to be in the hospital for the next few days, I'm hoping that she will be better on Wednesday so that she can leave. Being at home and able to manage her pain is critical to her well being.

Half the battle is medical treatment the other half is a positive disposition willing to fight this to the end. She has the former, I hope she can continue the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment