Monday, March 22, 2010

Background

So, after a few weeks of attempting to vent to nurses, doctors, parents, friends, etc, I've decided to attempt to maintain my sanity through this tough time by discussing our trials and tribulations of battling Cervical Cancer. My hope is that this becomes a venue of solace that I, and others, can turn to to learn more about the treatment process, what our family is and has experienced, and what lessons can be learned in the future.

First and foremost, go to your doctor. As someone who to refused to inform a doctor about a serious medical condition, I need to heed my own advice, but it goes without saying that we all have a responsibility to take care of ourselves.

So, where did this all begin? A few months ago, my mother, in her early 50s complained of generalized back pain. The pain was consistent and, at the time, not too hard to handle. Soon the discomfort grew and the pain increased dramatically. After a few weeks of generalized pain therapy, my father decided it was time to get things checked out. After meeting with a urologist and gynecologist, the worst was confirmed. My mom had Stage 3 Cervical Cancer and the Cancer had grown to cause a blockage under the left Kidney so as to prevent it from draining.

Imagine not being able to relieve yourself for days and having your Kidney''s swell like balloons - that is the feeling that I imagine she is experiencing and I honestly can't comprehend what it is like.

So what's the prognosis. Well anyone with Google can figure out what the prognosis is, generally, for a someone with Stage 3 Cervical Cancer. It's not the best, but certainly not the worst. It can, and in this case will, be beaten to a pulp. It won't know what hit it, I can guarantee that.

No comments:

Post a Comment